Wednesday 12 August 2015

The Undeniable Truth of Facebook


Well Facebook hey it’s a unique thing, most of the world including myself has one,  everyday lives spend on this app, if you were to ask me how many times I check Facebook I could not give you an answer, it’s one of first things I check when I wake up, I check it when I'm bored, I am one of millions that has fallen into this trap of social media which isn't a bad thing, like my Facebook is my place to post, share whatever I want, I get to stay in contact with my family back in NZ. The networks of friends, pages and groups I have friended, joined or created are my spaces. Spaces I use to share my thoughts and ideas or rants. The amount of different spaces (pages) out there on Facebook, heaps of stupid and crazy shit, people wanting their 2 minutes of fame lol, Facebook can be the root of all evil for some people especially those embarrassing moments that can never be erased. I did not think Facebook is private like your old skool diaries. But in a way it can be like a diary for some, I personally don’t think of mine as a diary, but for those who do share a start to a new era of dairies ‘internet diary’ or online diary (McNeill) they also can be called blogs, but some do fight that blogs and diaries are different. Those from the camp blog-is-not-a-diary fight for the differences of the two (McNeill). A blog is a genre of a diary because of the different expression the blog makes to our audience whereas the diary is more of a private genre. Genres can cause some pretty cool efforts on reality and truth, and changes the history of writing giving it different styles. Facebook, Twitter, Google + and many more are genres of social media, all full of different places of our own and spaces we like to share our ideas to or to catch up on the latest. And one asks do we spend too much time online and what does it feel to be actually offline in real places and spaces.




1 comment:

  1. Your blog is 100% accurate within today’s society, millions of people use Facebook daily whether it’s to keep in contact with friends or sharing their thoughts. However I do agree that Facebook can also be abused, but of course those embarrassing moments that will remain on the internet forever, so it is definitely not private haha. “Something about the online journal and blogs makes me distinctly uncomfortable... Journals make me feel guilty, as if I have been looking at texts I should not be reading...” I must agree with the text from McNeill that diaries and blogs are different, things should remain private and not shared with the rest of the world but society these days don’t understand the concept. We constantly rely on social media for the latest news and I honestly believe we will feel lost without it.

    Mcneill. L, teaching an old genre new tricks: the diary on the internet; confession, http://muse.jhu.edu>26.1mcneill.html

    ReplyDelete