Sunday 23 August 2015

Labyrinthine Mind Maps

Image Location: Wally's Labyrinth


Ever since I was a child I have had a fascination with maps and mazes. I am always the navigator on long car rides, and I know where Wally is in all of the books. Instead of searching for Wally straight away, I would start at one corner of the page and observe each individual and what they were doing. I would find Wally, and proceed to move on to the character next to him, and keep observing until I got the edge of the page. This week was the first time I had really thought of these actions from when I was younger, and connected them to some of my habits of today.

I am an anonyms user on Tumblr, and I often find myself in a derive (Barnes, 1997), being drawn to different attractions across cyber-space, taking in and enjoying the things in which I encounter. Three years ago, I discovered Tumblr on an unplanned journey through the internet, and I still go on these journeys today. They help me understand this virtual world that we all practically live a second life in. I have created my own spatial boundaries online (Barnes, 1997). I am mapping the internet in my head, through aimlessly wandering from site to site. And it is all because I am captivated by the ability to constantly find new places and never discovering the end. I will one day map the real world for myself, but for now the internet is sufficing nicely. 

I did not realise there was a title for my aimless surfing until I really looked into and tried to understand the ways of a flaneur.

I came to see and understand the ways of the cyber-flaneur when I read this passage in an essay by Gaylene Barnes-

The cyber-flaneur's exploration of virtual spaces is achieved through their natural propensity for movement; they wander anonymously within the boundaries of virtual space, developing a virtual identity while connected.” (Barnes, 1997)

When scrolling through Tumblr I feel that I am in possession of my incognito as my blog is anonyms. I have mentally mapped my way around, and as I wander aimlessly, I develop my own virtual identity while connected. I now know that I am a cyber-flanuer. My blog is the perfect example of it. It is a product of my online wandering. As I find myself in different corners of Tumblr and the Internet, I am sharing it back to my blog. One moment I am commenting on cute photos of puppies, and minutes later I am on a website detailing ‘how to cook with coconutflour’ . My only reason to venture to these sites was simply because I had not yet been there. 

My cyber-flaneur-ing has attracted a crowd. Most seem to be confused with what I post online; however some have caught on to the connection between the links. It is like a bread crumb trail from the beginning to the end of my journey for that particular day. In the end, I do not aim it please, I do not aim to always share exciting wonderful things on my blog, because, there is no aim. I am the weird wandering soul on the street that many get confused by. My journey may confuse some, but it will always make complete sense to me. I could not give someone my mind map of the internet and expect them to understand. To them it would be a labyrinth. All of our maps are completely bias towards our own experiences (Kuttainen, 2015), which I find to be most fascinating part of all.

References

Barnes, G. (1997). Passage of the cyber-flaneur. Retrieved from http://www.raynbird.com/essays/Passage_Flaneur.html

 Kuttainen, V. (2015). BA1002: Our Space: Networks, Narratives and the Making of Place. Lecture 3: Power Point. Retrieved from http://learnjcu.edu.au

 Image Reference

Unknown. (2015). Maze Map, Where’s Wally. Retrieved from: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/7a/cf/93/7acf936b072e44ae29f3c164beb3d0ec.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment